Google fascinates, because it manufactures a financial windfall usable by all: the word and semantic deposit of the market of the search, created by Google in person. Digital transformation is announced as a gold rush …
And in this treasure hunt, Google is seated in front row seats, for the following reasons:
- More than 90% Internet browsing starts via a search engine – and therefore mostly via Google, which has by far the largest market share in the Internet market. search ;
- 75% people do not go far beyond the first page of Google;
- The retail / e-commerce trend is in the process of reversing: the art of the first page Google has become a must;
- More than 3.7 billion people are connected to the Internet, half of the world's population: since the vast majority start with a Google search, our planet is becoming googleised.
Google the world.
Google has just brilliantly developed a financial ecosystem through which Internet users, consumers, decision makers – and the search engine itself – find themselves.
How then, in a current world of googleization, master Google to even better develop its business?
The following paragraphs present 5 tips.
1. Analyze how Google works
Google's goal is to maintain its leadership in the consumer market search. The almost unlimited mine of keywords or combinations of keywords used by Internet users – to which you add the different possible meanings by term, idiom, adage, expression of the current language – represents a deposit that it is a question of making fruit.
For this, Google will analyze the terms and phrases that users type in the main field of its search engine. And he will also crawl the websites of the whole world with the aim of giving a result: that of Google. And this thanks to a tool that Google designed: the Google bot.
It must be understood that the Google bot uses backlinks to go from websites to websites. This explains his policy: Google gives a very high importance to the backlinks in the weighting of the different elements that allow him to build his ranking is because these backlinks allow his Google bot to crawl sites – and thus to grow his business.
Website administrators who produce many backlinks – via internal links and external links – are therefore more rewarded than others simply.
The nerve of war, as stated at the beginning of this article, is the first page of Google. And since there is only room for a dozen results, out of billions of possible answers, the result displayed is necessarily arbitrary.
Google tracing its modus operandi on the behavior of cybernauts who will consult little more than a dozen answers given. Moreover, statistics show that the majority stops at the first answer given. Google therefore adapts its strategy according to the behavior of the lambda surfer.
Google is a privately held company with the primary goal of growing revenue with big margins and larger market shares than other search engines. So you can grow your business with Google when you fully understand its business model, how it works to crawl sites, and its modus operandi when it manufactures a ranking.
2. Understand Google Updates
Google is working to grow its search engine day by day. It should be known that more than 500 algorithms are created each year. Google changes every day. It is therefore essential to follow the Google news, especially through major updates: Penguin, Panda, Colibri, Possum, etc.
Not all updates have the same importance. And depending on the industries, sectors and industries, not all have the same impact on the millions of websites on the web.
It is therefore important to understand, at each update, what will really change for your website. Multiple updates have absolutely no influence on the Google ranking of this or that website.
Let's illustrate our point with an example, that of the AMP project, which made a lot of ink.
Many commentators have said that Google is trying, with this project, to have control over the net, saying that the AMP pages would no longer be stored in the web hosts, but in Google data centers in person.
It's a very bad case.
Google's project is ultimately to allow a faster loading time on smartphones.
But does that mean that it must necessarily turn its website into an AMP site?
No. It's a lot more complex than that. If you work in a multinational and you head a department with many developers, the subject of the MPA will allow you to give them work and spend your budget. And they will indeed have plenty of time to turn a non-AMP website into an AMP website.
If you are an entrepreneur, you will not have the time to do all this development work AMP, not to mention the financial aspects of development work, the establishment of such a project is expensive. The subject of the MPA will be an off topic. Your priority will be to check that the loading time of your website is optimized.
If your website works very well, Google should not take the right to penalize you for not having implemented AMP technology – set up by Google in person.
It is therefore necessary to learn about the ins and outs of Google updates. A superficial and calamitous analysis would lead to disastrous decisions. The best thing is to get serious information, especially with real reference sites such as MOZ, Web Rank Info or the site you are browsing.
3. Have a Google friendly site
It will be understood, a website must be in phase with the world according to Google.
This is where mastering the rules of natural referencing (SEO) usually comes into play. But rather than start by trying to understand and implement the best known SEO techniques, a winning strategy will consist in starting rather by understanding Google to better refer to its website after.
Not all SEO rules have the same degree of importance. Depending on the business sectors, Google's evolution and your business model, the weighting of each SEO rule in the final ranking can vary drastically.
You'll earn more by adapting your business model – and your website – to Google's way of doing business, rather than enforcing business laws. search and SEO without thinking and giving priority to the laws of the market.
This is how you can build a decisive competitive advantage: if your competitors are just applying SEO rules without really thinking about SEO, you'll be one step ahead in your quest for the first Google page. . Because when you think, your competitors will think without even realizing, that in reality, they do not think.
Google injects more than 500 algorithms into its search engine each year. It is ipso facto impossible to master 100% of all these algorithms, not to mention the consequences of the correlations of all these algorithms, especially since Google does not give all the information on the algorithms created by its technicians.
In addition, the multitude of these algorithms makes that they often become contradictory to each other, by the force of things. This fact explains the hallucinatory results that sometimes appear in search engines.
The fact remains that the SEO fundamentals described in the following lines will allow you to get off to a good start.
1) Use a SEO friendly start technology, such as WordPress, although other CMS and technologies also allow to obtain very good results in terms of SEO.
2) Learn how to improve the SEO of a WordPress site, if you are one of the 25% of web site administrators who have opted for this CMS.
3) Whatever your technical choices at the beginning of your project, build your website by referencing and refer to it by creating it: just like a train, the Search Engine Optimization is a machine that has a hard time reversing.
4) Make your website a good host.
5) Take special care of your SEO on-page: the titles of your pages, permalinks, Hn tags, alt, etc.
6) Set up a website map file for Google on your website.
7) Create quality backlinks: Some backlinks from reference sites in your industry will always outweigh a myriad of backlinks from low ranking websites that have nothing to do with your industry.
8) Take care of the anchor texts of the backlinks that you will receive, by agreeing with those who will create them for you.
9) Create a simple architecture: if your architecture is too sophisticated, the Google bot will be lost and Google will not understand your website.
10) Do not forget the bottom line: your SEO performance is not primarily due to SEO, but to the quality of the content you are going to make, publish and distribute – which Google summarizes in a simple formula that he likes and diffuses en masse: Content is King.
4. Use Google tools
Google is a gigantic organization that provides an elephantine financial windfall that makes it possible for many people to work: Google employees, SEO specialists, digital consultants, website administrators who directly or indirectly capitalize on the business market. searchetc.
But it is also a company that is constantly developing new tools that allow business leaders, decision-makers and digital specialists to develop their business and earn a lot of money.
Of course, many people are familiar with Google tools such as:
- Google Adwords, to appear on the front row of the first Google page on the most coveted terms;
- AdWords Keyword Planner, a Google keyword generator to select lucrative terms that will bring business to your market;
- > Google Search Console – formerly called Google Webmaster Tools – and Google Analytics, allowing everyone to receive statistics on their website (beware, the results differ widely from a Google tool to a non-Google tool such as MOZ, Jetpack on CMS WordPress, SEMrush, Webalizer, etc.);
- Google Trends, to know the trends of the moment;
- PageSpeed Insights, to measure the performance of a website in loading times;
- Google Alerts, to receive real-time email informative whenever a name appears on the web;
- The Google blog, which represents a gold mine of information for developers, SEOs, webmasters, digital consultants, etc.
But few people are aware of other Google tools such as:
- Google Public Data Explorer, to know the major economic trends in the world;
- Think: Databoard for Research Insights, to get market research – done by Google – and create infographics with your market stats;
- Google Consumer Surveys, which is a service to set up online surveys for market research (you can use them to create studies and questionnaires);
- Consumer Barometer, which allows webmarketers to have information on multichannel consumption (on / off line);
- Think: Customer Journey, to better control the sales tunnel and the shopping journey of your cybercommuters;
- Think: Mobile Purchase Journey, to model the multi-screen routes of your users;
- Google Correlate, to find out what users are looking for when typing a particular keyword, is very useful for finding the new semantic fields you can use (the tool is a perfect complement to the AdWords Keyword Planner);
- Google Ngram Viewer, for popular terms in your market;
- Google Top Trends, to know the most wanted queries, on a given country (the tool is a perfect complement to Google Trends);
- Google Zeitgeist, another tool to exploit the big trends in the world;
- Doubleclick Insights, which offers many studies, white papers and articles that will help you to refine your digital strategy (the tool is a perfect complement to Google's blogs);
- Google Scholar, an interface dedicated to education, created by Google.
All these tools, it will be understood, is a gold mine that it is up to you to exploit to further grow your business. Hence the importance of being aware of the plethora of tools that Google makes available to everyone.
To learn more, you'll find in the following article a list of Google tools: 31 Google tools, useful to the digital marketer, and you do not know.
5. Anticipate the future of Google (and therefore the search)
The search engine of Google is an algorithm machine whose vocation is to transform the world. With the help of digital transformation, Google is developing its search engine to make it more profitable, introducing new tools that are very useful to everyone, and participating in the digital revolution, in its own way.
The organization of Google, all moving and more than evolutive, requires you, as a decision maker, to regularly monitor and analyze decisions made by employees of the Mountain View firm – and to properly analyze the consequences of their decisions.
As mentioned earlier in this article, many sites such as Webmarketing & Co'm, Web Rank Info and MOZ will keep you up to date.
The professionals who will stand out are those who know, in addition to informing themselves properly, anticipate the future of Google – and therefore the future of the market of the searchbecause other search engines such as Yahoo, Bing or Ask adapt their strategy according to Google, just as Google adapts its strategy according to these search engines. Competitors scrutinize each other, modify their strategy and put in place their operational action plan, in function.
The search engines are above all organizations made up of remarkable human beings who really succeed in changing the world, via digital transformation. Keeping track of Google's evolution through Google's day-to-day professionals can be instructive – it can even make a difference.
For example, Google has recently been joined by Danny Sullivan, a world-renowned SEO expert emeritus. He created at Google a Twitter account on the search, which is called @searchliaison, and will allow many people to anticipate the future of Google – and by extension that of the Alphabet company to which the Google brand belongs.
Let us also mention, in France, the admirable work of Matthieu Tran-Van, via his site www.matthieu-tranvan.fr.
These great professionals avoid, in particular, that the search do not become a vulgar little Landernau in which the competition could rage abusively.
Because given the goldmine that digital represents today, everyone can obviously succeed without having to necessarily walk on their feet, including applying modern techniques from the blue ocean strategy: the rush to digital, it's not the Wild West.
But then what are the major trends in the market for search ? Because it's important not to make a mistake. Here are 5 trends that should be confirmed in the years to come:
a) The Mobile First Project
The consultations on smartphone are in the process of exceeding the consultations on the other types of terminal. Google now wants to change its modus operandi accordingly. The rankings awarded should therefore in the future be directly derived from the project Mobile First: carefully monitor the representation of your website on your smartphones, in the future.
b) Loading time
The AMP project has been much in the news (see above in the article). Establishing an AMP site is technically very difficult, it is saying little. Before you go astray by setting up from scratch an AMP site that could become a gas plant, consider that it is primarily the loading time of your site that must have priority. Rather than having developers work to turn a non-AMP site into an AMP site, simply consider working with a developer whose mission is to optimize the loading time of your site. This will save you a lot of trouble. Do not go astray.
c) Google tools
After transforming the Google Webmaster Tools into Google Search Console, Google is working to dramatically improve this tool, with a more user-friendly, easy-to-use and easy-to-use platform – and new features better suited to our time. The same goes for Google Trends, Google Alerts, Google Adwords, etc. The list of Google tools, most of which are free, is impressive: keep a close eye on the evolution of current tools and the emergence of new tools that Google techs will develop in the future.
d) Optimizing SEO settings
Google employees spend a lot of time optimizing their search engine to increase its dominance of the search engine market. search. But many algorithms and updates are also created to thwart the fallacious techniques developed by many website administrators. The best thing is to develop a strategy that respects the rules of the art.
As mentioned above, backlinks represent the computer and technical element that allows Google to grow, some even say: "no backinks, no Google." It is thanks to the backlinks that Google can easily move from one website to another, visit the web and establish his reign. Backlinks are part of SEO off-page. They must fit into a global netlinking strategy, requiring a good understanding of Google's modus operandi.
These 5 trends represent a base on which you can build your future architecture. There are many other trends in the market today. search, not described in this article. Many are actually fashions that are disguised as trends – and that will eventually pass.
Predict the future of search reading ephemeral fashions would be like trying to read in a crystal ball, with all the extrapolations that will result from it. Attention: in the vast world of search, the smoker-inspired syllogisms and other rules of three easy, convenient, accommodating and abused are unlimited in number. To master this cornucopia – and to avoid having to finally deal with the throes of some disastrous experiment – better to limit yourself to solid demonstrations.
In the era of fake news and other snake powders, listening to the best will prove to be more than decisive.
Google is a business vector.
The gold mine is the semantic fields, exploitable to infinity: it is necessary to imagine a deposit which, by its nature, would never come to dry up.
In this, Google relies on an ancestral technique, at least since the creation of the Word: know how to sell and persuade with words.
With tons of information available today about SEO, it is sometimes really difficult to know who says the right and who preaches for his small parish for mercantile interest.
To help you sort through this mass of diverse and varied opinions, here is some information that will allow you to prioritize your actions: the big SEO professionals today estimate that more than 80% of your results will come from 3 elements, to know :
- The Domain Authority (DA) of your site, this one being measurable thanks to the Open Site Explorer of MOZ, which is not a Google tool;
- Your SEO On Page;
- The quality of your backlinks (internal and external links) as well as the anchor text of these backlinks.
Regarding backlinks, select in priority those from reference websites in your sector of activity and having a very high Domain Authority (measurable thanks to the tool provided by MOZ).
The purpose of this article is to make you understand that you will have everything to gain not from the SEO rules developed and broken down in many writings – which will not always be adapted to your ecosystem – but rather from a clear understanding of how of Google's operation.
By understanding Google, not only will you further understand the laws of SEO, but you can also work on the weighting of each of these laws in the result of your final ranking in the search engines, depending on your business model.
By domesticating SEO principles you will make them more human.
You will be able to modulate the laws of SEO according to the laws of the market, always keeping in perspective the interest of your website. You can also really develop your business without too many pitfalls. Finally, you can put together new SEO techniques, decisive, that you will not find anywhere else.
Because the many information provided by the many articles, white papers, books and websites sometimes tend to block decision-making. Since the arguments of both parties are often contradictory, the elements of methodology proposed in this article are intended to help you shape your own opinion on the laws of SEO – and to forge certainties.
By mastering Google, you will be better able to know what actions you need to set up in priority, for the sake of your website.
To succeed, you will have to gauge, weigh, weigh the pros and cons, understand the impressive mass of information, weight each argument and apply a winning strategy to appear correctly, eventually, on the first page Google.